Victoria Fellowship Church (VFC)
International and Interdenominational
House Fellowship for week commencing 24th of July 2016
Quarter Theme: Living with Eternity In View
Topic: Preaching the Gospel
Texts: Matt 28:19-20; Rom 1:14-17
Memory Verse: Matt 24:14 – “And this gospel of the Kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come”. (NIV)
The gospel, the good news, preaching or sharing my faith: which ever name or form it takes is an integral part of the Christian walk. And our text for today highlights the importance because Matthew 28:19-20 has been popularly referred to, throughout church history, as ‘The great Commission.”
A Look at the incarnate life of our master and savior Jesus while he was on earth, his teachings could be divided into two distinct eras:
- Pre-Calvary Era: this era embodies almost all the teachings of Christ while he was on earth. Great and amazing life giving teachings like the beatitudes, and many others. They are the teaching he gave to his disciples and followers before going to the cross
- Post-Calvary Era: These are teaching and instructions he gave after he had walked the cross, paid the price, died and rose from the dead. The work is done, eternal life is given, and death conquered. Alas, the final instruction he left with the church, his new bride and family is: “Go into all the world.”
Interesting to note, the command to go into the world with this message, is not a suggestion, not a teaching nor an admonition; it is rather a command from our Lord and master. It is a command to make disciples of the world: which involves (a) preaching the gospel and (b) observing to do all pre-Calvary era teachings.
To many of us, this is a command for a few, mostly the paid preachers; or a command for the worded and mature believers; while to others it’s a command for specially gifted people in the church who are called evangelists or zealous ones who hope to be called as evangelists. The closest we can come to it is that it’s for those in missions and evangelism department because they have been burdened to serve the lord in that capacity.
Another misconception about the gospel is, what really is the gospel? Is it a call to avoid hell fire? Is it a call to biblical exposition and Christian life style? Is it a preaching on good conduct and behavior? What is the gospel? This gospel is called the good news of the kingdom? Apostle Paul called it, my gospel. A lot of believers have struggled with sharing their faith; some have backed out completely from the task simply because of this pivotal question that has not been answered.
Answering this question in the simplest biblical way is key to effective sharing and preaching of the gospel as a lifestyle. We are trusting God to help us clear these and many other ambiguities and misconceptions around sharing our faith and to understand the ABC of the gospel, thereby lifting the banner of the gospel of Christ as a lifestyle, which is the only hope of humanity – the gospel of the kingdom!
- What is the gospel? Rom 5: 6-11; 1 Cor 15:1-5
- What does the gospel mean to (Rom 1:14-15; Eph 3:1-6; Rom 10:13-15; 1 Cor 1:18&21 😉
- The Father’s heart
- The Kingdom mandate
- The World and
3. What is my place in propagating the gospel and how can I effectively fulfill them, even in this 21st century digital age. (2 Cor 2:14-17; 1 Cor 9:16; 2Cor 5:18 -21 )
4. Outline the practical difficulty you have had in sharing your faith and discuss how to overcome them going forward (1 Pet 3:15; Jn 4:28-30; 2 Tim 4:1-5)