Victoria Fellowship Church (VFC)
International and Interdenominational
House Fellowship for week commencing 22nd January 2017
Quarter Theme: Foundation For Christian Living
Topic: Faithful Prayer and worship: one God and one mediator Jesus Christ
Texts: 1 Timothy 2: 1-15
Memory Verse: ‘I want men everywhere to lift up holy hands in prayer, without anger or disputing” (1 Tim. 2:8 NIV)
The books of 1st, 2nd Timothy and Titus are uniquely different from other epistles of Paul in that they were specifically written and directed to church leaders. This is key in understanding these books, as they do not only address issues relating to an individual’s personal life, but to any life that must be useful and viable in God’s hand. And they stand out as a guide and manual for accessing the believer’s qualification for service in Gods house.
While studying first Timothy, you will repeatedly encounter the heartbeat of this book as clearly stated by Paul at the start and end of the book (I Tim 1:5-7; 6:20-21): to equip the believer in fighting the good fight of faith by upholding a good conscience and to avoid shipwreck in the faith.
After Paul had laid out his goal and intention for writing to Timothy (in 1 Timothy 1), he didn’t hesitate in diving into key instructions necessary for living the Christian life and finishing strong. That is the core theme of the book of Timothy.
And our text for today (1 Tim 2), deals with some of those instructions as given by Paul, not only to Timothy, but to all of us believers whose deep heart desire is to live a solid Christian life and want to finish strong in their Christian walk.
- Paul’s first instruction to Timothy in this first letter is a call to Prayer, discus why this is important. vs. 1 (Luke 18:1; I These 5:17)
- From vs. 1-4:
- Outline and discuss the different types of prayer that Paul advocated for and give practical examples how we can apply this in our daily lives (Phil 4:6)
- Discuss the importance and benefits of praying for i) All men ii) Kings and iii) all those in authority (Prov 21:1) – according to Paul’s admonition.
- From vs. 5, what does Christ being THE ONLY MEDIATOR between God and man mean with regards to?
- Salvation of sinners
- Our prayer life, communication and relationship with God
- All human beings.
- “..that men pray EVERYWHERE, LIFTING UP HOLY HANDS, WITHOUT WRATH AND DOUBTING.” vs.8(KJV) (Ps 24:3-5; jam 1:5-8):
- discuss with practical examples what it means to pray EVERYWHERE, and its benefit
- What does “LIFTING UP HOLY HANDS, WITHOUT WRATH AND DOUBTING?” and what is its implication to my prayer life.