Victoria Fellowship Church (VFC)
International and Interdenominational
House Fellowship for week commencing 20th November 2016
Quarter Theme: Standing On God’s Promises
Topic: I will Be with You
Texts: Joshua 1:1-10
Memory Verse: Joshua 1:5 – “No one will be able to stand against you all the days of your life. As I was with Moses, so I will be with you; I will never leave you nor forsake you”. (NIV)
All through Scriptures, God has made His great and precious promises to His people. The greatest of these promises, is, perhaps, the promise ‘I will be with you’, our topic for this week.
Again, we observe that God’s presence was what HE offered during His people’s most difficult times. For instance, when it was time for God to activate His salvation plan, He did not send angels. Rather, he said, “The virgin will conceive and give birth to a son, and they will call him Immanuel”[a] (which means “God with us”) Matthew 1:23 (NIV). We also notice that this announcement made all the difference for Joseph, who was at crossroads on what to do with the pregnant virgin Mary.
Along with Joseph, we also note that those who have accomplished the greatest for God, are probably those who have understood and stood on this very promise – Moses, Joshua (in our text), David: Psalm 23:4; The Apostles: Matt. 28:20; Apostle Paul: Acts 18:5-11; 2 Tim 4:16-18
It follows, therefore, that a proper understanding of this promise, ‘I will be with you’ is crucial for anyone who wants to follow the Lord in these challenging end times.
Let us explore this promise ‘I will be with you’. Read the following Scriptures:
- Exodus 33:12-23
- Psalm 23;4
iii. Matthew 28:18-20
- Acts 18: 5-11
- 2 Timothy 4:17-22
- Hebrew 13:5-6
QUESTIONS FOR DISCUSSION:
- What was going on at the time God made the promise?
- If you were the one in the situation, what kind of help would you have asked from God?
- What did God offer in the situation?
- Why do you think His presence was more important than any other help He could have offered?
- What difference would you say His presence made for the persons involved and for the situation?
- What lessons can you learn from these regarding God’s Presence
- What does the promise ‘I will be with you’ (God’s presence) mean for you personally?
- What is one situation in your life right now that you think God’s presence can make a difference?
- How would you go about applying God’s presence in the situation you mentioned above?
ACTION: Pair up and share your applications with the other person and pray for the person