Victoria Fellowship Church (VFC)
International and Interdenominational
House Fellowship for week commencing 5th June 2016
Quarter Theme: Living with Eternity in View
Topic: Growing in Knowledge
Texts: Ephesians. 4: 7-14
Memory Verse: Ephesians 4:14 – “Then we will no longer be infants, tossed back and forth by the waves, and blown here and there by every wind of teaching and by the cunning and craftiness of people in their deceitful scheming.” (NIV)
God wants us to grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. But how? How do we who are in Christ grow in a proper and healthy manner? Like an Iroko tree growing in the forest, without a solid root and good light, it will die in infancy. We too, without a solid root in Christ and without His light of the Word would shrivel up spiritually. The bible commands us to …. grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ…” (2 Pet. 3:18).
What does GROWTH mean to you? Take a pause and discuss in the group [PAUSE TO DISCUSS]. Our Christian Life begins with a Birth. Jesus said to Nicodemus,“Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.” (John 3:3). But after birth comes growth. If there is no growth after being born, then there is no life. It is like starting at pry school and going all the way to a PhD. We must first be born-again.
Spiritual growth is not automatic after being born-again. Indeed, there are a number of things that can be a HINDERANCE TO GROWTH which works against us like: A lack of effort (Heb. 5:12-13 & Prov. 24:30-34), discouragement (Gal. 6:9; 1Col. 15:58), lack of use (Heb. 2:1) and interference (Mrk. 4:18-19).
The EVIDENCES OF GROWTH in Knowledge revolves around an: increase of love (1 Cor. 13); increase of faith (2 Thess. 1:3); increase of the knowledge of God (Col. 1:10); increase in the manifestation of the fruit of the Spirit (Gal 5:22-23).
QUESTIONS FOR DISCUSSION
- Are you growing? All in attendance should take two minutes to think about this question. After this pause, go around the room and seek a response from everyone.
- If not . . . Why not? Why are we not growing?
- Going forward: what steps would you take to ensure you grow in knowledge?
- Do you think that these things can impact our spiritual growth? Positively or otherwise: becoming more active in VFC, Regular Devotions; Bible Study; Witnessing Christ; Constant Self Examination…. Why? Read 2Co 13:5 and then discuss your answer.
- What role does fellowship with believers play in our growth in his knowledge, (1 Cor. 12:4, 11, 25)