Victoria Fellowship Church (VFC)
International and Interdenominational
House Fellowship for week commencing 9th October 2016
Quarter Theme: Standing On God’s Promises
Topic: I will Heal You
Texts: 2 King 20:1-11
Memory Verse: 2 Kings 20:5b – “…I will heal you. On the third day from now you will go up to the temple of the lord”. (NIV)
We have been diligently looking at God’s promises to us as his people, exceeding great and precious promises by which we become partakers of his divine nature and escape the ever decaying and corrupt world (2 Pet 1:3-4).
The fall of man in the garden came with a lot of consequences and one outstanding consequence of our fall is sickness. Sickness entered human race along with many other things, as a product of the reign of death. Little wonder God, in his covenant walk with man all through the history of the scriptures, does not only distinguish himself as a holy and righteous God, but also as the God that heals and takes away sickness from among his people. Exo 15:26; 23:25; Deut 7:15;
With regards to the health of God’s covenant people, two aspects are evident:
- He protects his people from disease- i.e. the covenant of sound health
- He heals and delivers from sickness and infirmities – i.e. the covenant of healing.
One undeniable fact about walking with God as demonstrated in the Old Testament is that God in the midst of His covenant people preserves from diseases and heals any among them that is sick. Isa 33:24; Jer 8:22. Israel as covenant people, had a covenant of healing, as an inheritance. However, to them under the old covenant it comes with a condition, as long as they walk in obedience, they will not see any sickness or disease; and if any among them is sick, there is Balm already provided in Gilead for healing of the people.
God’s people had a promise of healing, but that was only a temporal solution, just as the righteous and holiness they enjoyed under the Old Testament. God in solving the problem of sin, sickness and death provided a single once for all remedy, and that he promised them by the prophets (Isa 53: 1-5). By this, God not only heals them but himself promised to bear their sickness in his body.
To them it was a promise that he will take their sickness in his body, but for us, his New Covenant people, he has borne our sicknesses and diseases. And by His stripes, we are not going to be healed, we WERE ALREADY HEALED (I Pet 2:24).
Three undeniable new covenant facts regarding our health and healing:
- We have a covenant of sound health: he HAD taken our sicknesses away in his body. Both present, past and future.
- Covenant of healing: When we face challenge in our health, we activate our inheritance and receive deliverance. Matt 15:21-26; Mark 7:24-27
- We are transmitters of divine healing (Mark 16:17-18): one wonder of our new creation reality is that we are not just healed but we bring healing to our brethren, to the heathens and to the nations. God has positioned us to bring destroy the ugly work of sickness if the devil and to extend this kingdom benefit tour environment and the nations of the world
As we study God’s promises to us today concerning our health and healing, we should note that he didn’t just promise to heal us, he has already fulfilled. So for every sickness or disease that might be afflicting us, even the ones yet to manifest, we WERE HEALED.
QUESTIONS FOR DISCUSSION:
- God said, “…I will heal you (2 King 5:10b);” “…I am the Lord who heals you (Exo 15:26);” “…By my wounds you have been healed (1 Pet 2:24):” what do these promises mean and convey to you personally?
- What are the practical ways to enforce or demonstrate this covenant of healing amongst us? James 5:13-14; Mark 16:17-18
- Is there any sickness/disease that God cannot heal? What is the role of faith in experiencing God’s healing?
- Outline and discuss practical hindrance to receiving healing and steps to overcoming them. Hos 4:6; Matt 17:14-20; Mark 9:23;
ACTION: Pray for any member present at the meeting who is sick and all our brethren in VFC needing God’s healing